Easy Star Stitch Crochet Dishcloth Pattern
Crochet an Easy Dishcloth or Washcloth
If you have ever wondered how to crochet star stitches then this free easy crochet dishcloth pattern is for you! I am always on the lookout for new crochet stitches but I don’t like to try them on big projects. That’s why this free quick crochet washcloth pattern is perfect to learn to crochet the star stitch! I made this crochet crochet dishcloth pattern for beginners with a photo and video tutorial.
What Crochet Stitch is Best for Dishcloths?
Use a textured crochet stitch and a durable yarn. A textured crochet stitch will help to scrub any hard to get spots and a durable yarn will hold up best through multiple uses. Originally, I made this crocheted dishcloth using Re-Up from Lion Brand (blue in photos) but it has now been discontinued. To make some new ones I chose to to use 24/7 Cotton from Lion Brand which in hindsight is a better choice for durability.
How to Crochet a Dishcloth or Washcloth?
Crocheting a dishcloth or washcloth is easy and great for learning new crochet stitches! One stitch that I have loved for a long time is the star stitch. Now, I have seen this stitch used a few times and I have always been confused by how to crochet the star stitch. It really isn’t as hard as I thought and I think I had just found poor instructions! After some trial and error I finally got it figured out and was able to write my own simple instructions for the crochet star stitch! Check out the video below or scroll for the full photo tutorial.
Do Crochet Dishcloths Work Well?
YES! Crochet Dishcloths definitely work well and are more durable than a paper towel and cheaper then buying dishcloths, hand towels and washcloths! Depending on your yarn, hook and stitch you can crochet dishcloths fast. think about the amount of time you could spend going to the store or scrolling on your phone to find hand towels you like. Just make some crocheted dishcloths in any size and color you choose!
Come find me on…
- Like my Facebook Page
- Join my Facebook group!
- Get PDFs on Etsy
- Get PDFs on Ravelry
- Sign Up for the Life and Yarn Newsletter
Lion Brand 24/7 Cotton
#4 Worsted Weight Cotton Yarn, 53 yards/1 oz per washcloth
5.50 mm crochet hook
For this free crochet washcloth pattern you need a gauge of 15 sts x 10 rows with a 5.50 mm crochet hook in the pattern repeat will make a 4 by 4 inch square. Pattern will make a 6.5 by 6.5 inch washcloth.
Stitch Descriptions and Abbreviations
- Chain Stitch – CH – yarn over, pull yarn through stitch on hook.
- Slip Stitch – Sl St – Insert hook into stitch or space, yarn over, pull yarn through both loops on hook.
- Single Crochet – SC – Insert hook into stitch or space, yarn over, pull up a loop, (2 loops on hook), yarn over, pull through 2 loops on hook.
- Half Double Crochet – HDC – Yarn over, insert hook into stitch or space, yarn over, pull up a loop, (3 loops on hook), yarn over, pull through 3 loops on hook.
- Foundation Single Crochet – Fsc – Chain 2, insert hook into 2nd chain from hook, yarn over and pull up a loop (2 loops on hook) yarn over, draw through 1 loop, (2 loops on hook with 1 ch created), yarn over, draw through all loops (1 loop on hook, 1 foundation single crochet with chain at the bottom) *Insert hook to the bottom of the stitch you just made, it will look like the top or “V” of a stitch, yarn over, pull up 1 loop (2 loops on hook), yarn over, draw through 1 loop (2 loops on hook with 1 ch created), yarn over, draw through all loops;* repeat from * to * for desired amount of stitches.
- One Size – 6-1/2″ x 6-1/2″
- * Designates a repeat.
- Ch 1 And Ch 2 does not count as stitch.
- Skill Level: Easy
- Ch 2 is used to create the Star Stitch in pattern.
How to Crochet the Star Stitch Dishcloth
Fsc 27, ch 2, turn.
Ch 2, turn, pick up 2 loops in the 2nd chain from the hook using the front and back of the chain (or bars), pick up a loop in the 1st sc, pick up a loop in the next 2-sc, (6 loops on hook) yarn over, pull through all loops, yarn over pull through one loop (eye of star created) *pick up a loop in the eye, pick up a loop in the last loop of the star, pick up a loop in the same stitch as the last loop of the previous star, pick up a loop in the next 2-sc, (6 loops on hook) yarn over, pull through all loops, yarn over, pull through one loop. Repeat from * to end, hdc in the same stitch as the last star. (13 star sts created)
[See the photos below or video above for clarification.]
Ch 1, turn, sc in hdc, sc in next eye, *2 sc in each next eye. Repeat from * to end, 1 sc in hdc. (27 sts)
Rows 4 – 17
Repeat Rows 2 & 3.
I hope you loved learning how to crochet a washcloth using the star stitch! If you are looking for other crochet washcloth patterns for beginners you should check out these other great free patterns I have on my blog! If you’re looking for more crochet projects, check out my entire Free Patterns Sectionand find something to make today! Make sure to sign up for the Life ands Yarn Newsletter so you never miss a new great crochet pattern!