Puff Shell Beanie Free Crochet Pattern
I am sure you all know by now how much I love texture! I love bobbles and puffs and chain spaces and really any stitch or technique that adds interest to a piece! That’s why I love this free crochet beanie pattern! My Puff Shell Beanie creates a really fun, kind of crunched up beanie that is sure to keep you warm!
Pin the Puff Shell Beanie on Pinterest to share with all of your crochet loving friends!
Be sure to Follow Me on Instagram @life.and.yarn for daily updates of what I am working on a sneak peeks of new patterns!
Do you want more free patterns? Check out my Free Patterns Section!
Size 6.50 mm crochet hook
#5 Bulky Weight Yarn
(min. 4.5 oz) or min 150 yards.
Pop-pom maker *optional*
12 sts x 13 rows = 4” sq.
Hat Measures approximately 10” tall x 8” wide, when laid flat before seaming the top.
Stitch Descriptions and Abbreviations
- Chain Stitch – CH – yarn over, pull yarn through stitch on hook.
- Slip Stitch – Sl St – Insert hook into stitch or space, yarn over, pull yarn through both loops on hook.
- Single Crochet – SC – Insert hook into stitch or space, yarn over, pull up a loop, (2 loops on hook), yarn over, pull through 2 loops on hook.
- Double Crochet – DC – Yarn over, insert hook into stitch or space, pull up a loop, (3 loops on hook), yarn over, pull through 2 loops, yarn over, pull through remaining loops.
- Front Post Double Crochet – FPDC -Yarn over, insert hook from front to back and front again, yarn over, draw though, (3 loops on hook) , yarn over, draw through 2 loops, yarn over, draw through last 2 loops on hook.
- Back Loop Only – BLO – Create the intended stitch in the Back Loop Only of the stitch to be worked.
- * * – Designates a repeat.
CH 11, SC in the second chain from the hook and SC across. [10 stitches]
CH 1, turn, SC in BOTH loops of the first stitch.
SC in BLO of stitches #2-9, then SC in BOTH loops of the last stitch, #10
Rows 3 – 58
Repeat Row 2, do not finish off!
Bring your corners together to form the headband of the hat and slip stitch the two edges together.
Turn your headband inside out so that the seam will be on the inside of the hat.
NOW, CH 1.
This is where you start the main part of the hat.
SC in each row around, Sl St together. [58 stitches]
CH 3 (Counts as DC)
4DC in Sl St space of CH 3. (1st Shell Stitch)
*Skip 1 stitch, DC 3 TOG next 3 sts, then skip 1 st, then place 5 DC in next st*
* *Repeat to end, ending with a DC 3 TOG.
Sl St into CH 3 where you started this round.
CH 3 (Counts as DC) 4 DC in Sl St space of CH 3
*1 FPDC around DCs 2,3 & 4 of the 5DC shell, 5 DC in the top of DC 3 TOG st.*
* * Repeat to end, ending with a FPDC, Sl St into CH 3 where you started this round.
Rounds 4 – 11 (or desired height)
Repeat Row 2 to your desired height.
When you finish to your desired height leave at least a 12” tail to close the top of your hat.
Turn your hat inside out.
Thread your tail though a yarn needle.
Fold the hat in half so that the tail is in the center front.
Sew center to center.
Fold the hat in the middle the other way and sew those two centers.
The top of your hat should be creating an “X”.
Sew each end of “X” also into the center and finish off.
Turn your hat right side out and the top should look nice and clean.
Add a Pom-Pom if you would like!