You might recognize this Free Crochet Top Pattern…it’s the New and Improved Felicity Tee! While beginning the update of my original post for Felicity, I decided that although the other pattern is extremely similar, there are significant changes that were made. I felt that this design deserved a second post so that the original could live on as well! Why get rid of a free crochet pattern that is just as good! Keep scrolling to use the free crochet pattern in this blog post or click the button below for an affordable pdf! Check out the next section below for what is different between these two patterns and decided which you would like to make!
Design Story + Inspiration + Differences
The Felicity Tee was one of my first designs…you can tell by how much my writing style has changed from the first one to this New Free Crochet Top Pattern! While I am a bit embarrassed to draw attention to the older pattern I am only human and I do find it encouraging to show how we can grow and change and become better at our passions! Check out the original Felicity Tee to see what I mean!
The biggest difference in this design is fairly obvious…SLEEVES! The original Felicity has sleeves and this one does not. When I was designing the original I had no experience (read confidence) in shaping a garment. So, I made two rectangles and the only custom thing about the design was the neckline. The second time around I wanted to move away from the rectangles, which I now know is a drop sleeve, and make fitted arm holes. When I did that the cut became amazing and I was having a hard time deciding if I should add the sleeves like the original. I actually did three different sleeves on this top and took polls on Instagram. Believe it or not the sleeveless version won every time! Ya’ll loved it just as much as me, and boy was I happy about that!
About the Yarn
Ok, so I love cotton… you know that right? I think if I had to choose I would only ever use cottons, seriously! It’s soft, durable and can be used for so many things! Plus we live in Florida now and is a great warm (hot) weather fiber! For this New Free Crochet Top Pattern I used a yarn called Charme from Circulo. Circulo is an established company but new to the US for distribution. You can grab most of their yarns from Sheep Thrills, a LYS in Florida, they ship worldwide!
Speaking of yarn, that is also another big change from the original pattern. When I first made the Felicity Tee I used Caron Simply Soft which is classified as a worsted weight, however, I would consider it a DK weight. For my new sample I used Charm which is a #2 Sport Weight Cotton Yarn. CSS is a 100% acrylic yarn which also makes a difference in the final piece. I know from experience how much gauge can change by just using a different fiber content…change the fiber and weight, you have completely different stitch counts to get the same measurements! So while the end result looks similar, getting there is a whole different animal! Keep scrolling to use the free crochet top pattern in this blog post!
Before we begin…let’s Get Social!
I would love for you to come follow me on Instagram, Like my Facebook Page and Join my Facebook group! As Always you can grab a Printable PDF on Etsy! Remember, all likes, shares, follows and purchases are greatly appreciated by this Maker Mama and really do help to grow my craft business! So, if you are looking for more Free Crochet Patterns that are great beginner crochet projects then be sure to check out my Free Patterns Section!
Styling Your Crochet Top
I love making my own clothes because I can include features that I love and look for when I go shopping. A bit thing I look for is length. I have always been slim and when I get something that fits width-wise it will be short length wise. So I usually have to go a size up for the correct length and then run the risk of the item falling off if it doesn’t shrink as much as I hoped. Making my own clothes allows me to add the extra inch that I can’t always find in stores.
I love to have my butt covered, even just a little bit. I can’t stand sitting down and felling like I’m showing my undies! its also nice to be able to run out in yoga pants or leggings making longer tops necessary! The Felicity Tee was originally designed with extra length and that is something I kept in the update too! You could even add a few MORE rows and this top could be a beach or pool cover up!
- Size 4.50 mm crochet hook
- #2 Sport Weight Yarn – Circulo Charme in #3201
- 415 (518, 622, 682, 777, 829, 864, 898, 953) yds
- Yarn Needle
- Note on Yardage : Amounts are estimates, when using any yarn that the recommendation, even if the same weight class, the yardage could vary slightly. Always purchase extra, I like to get at least 10% more.
Please be sure to check your gauge for this pattern. The gauge is 16 sts X 13 rows in pattern repeat is 4” x 4”. Gauge is important to ensure that your finished piece fits as it should and also to make sure you have enough yarn to complete your project! Yarn chicken gets my heart going, but not in a good way…it’s not fun to lose at!
Stitch Descriptions and Abbreviations
- Chain Stitch – ch
- Slip Stitch – Sl St
- Single Crochet – sc
- Half Double Crochet – hdc
- Double Crochet – dc
- Between – work your stitch between the posts of the specified stitches
- Foundation Double Crochet – Fdc – Chain 4, yarn over, insert hook into 4th chain from the hook, yarn over and pull up loop (3 loops on hook) yarn over and pull through 1 loop (3 loops on hook), yarn over, pull through 2 loops, yarn over, pull through all loops (1 foundation double crochet with chain at bottom created) *Yarn over, insert hook to bottom of the stitch you just made, it will look like the top or “V” of a stitch, yarn over and pull up a loop (3 loops on hook), yarn over and pull through 1 loop (3 loops on hook), yarn over and pull through 2 loops (2 loops on hook), yarn over pull though all loops
- XS (S, M, L, XL, 2XL, 3XL, 4XL, 5XL) – Use corresponding number for your size.
- * Designates a repeat.
- Ch 1 does not count as a stitch.
- Ch 3 counts as a dc.
- “sc 1” means to single crochet in the next stitch.
- “sc 2” means to single crochet in each of the next 2 stitches.
- “2 sc” means to single crochet twice in the next st to create an increase.
- Skill Level: Easy
- Ease: Sweater is designed to be fitted at bust with zero ease.
Free Crochet Top Pattern Begins
Fdc 64 (72, 80, 88, 96, 106, 114, 122, 130)
Ch 1, turn, sc, ch 2, skip next st, sc between next st and skipped st, *ch 2, skip next 2 sts, sc between skipped st and next st, repeat from * to end working last sc in turning ch-3.
Ch 3, turn, dc 1 in first ch-2 space, *2 dc in each next ch-2 space, repeat from * to last ch-2 space, dc 1 in last ch-2 sp, dc 1 in last st.
Rows 4 – 55 (55, 57, 57, 59, 59, 59, 61, 61)
Repeat Rows 2-3
Next Row: Repeat Row 2
Armhole Decrease Row
Ch 3, turn, dc 1 in each of next three ch-2 spaces, *2 dc in each next ch-2 space, repeat from * until three ch-2 spaces remain, dc 1 in each remaining ch-2 spaces, dc 1 in last st .
[60 (68, 76, 84, 92, 102, 110, 118, 126) total dc sts, each decrease row reduces by 4 sts.]
Next 14 Rows
Repeat Previous 2 Rows ending with 32 (40, 48, 56, 64, 74, 82, 90, 98) total dc stitches.
Next 4 Rows
Repeat Rows 2-3
Ch 3, turn, dc in each stitch across.
Next 3 (3, 3, 4, 4, 5, 5, 6, 7) Rows
Ch 3 (counts as a st), dc 7 (9, 11, 13, 15, 18, 20, 21, 24), hdc 5 (7, 8, 9, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16), sc 6 (6, 8, 10, 10, 12, 14, 16, 16), hdc 5 (7, 8, 9, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16), dc 8 (10, 12, 14, 16, 19, 21, 22, 25). [32 (40, 48, 56, 64, 74, 82, 90, 98) total stitches]
Ch 1, turn, sc in each stitch across, finish off.
- Lay your front panels on your back panels with righUsing a mattress stitch seam up from the waist hem to the last full row before your first decrease row, finish off.
- Repeat Step 2 on the other side.
- Using a mattress stitch, seam from the shoulder in toward the neck 9 stitches or to a comfortable neck opening, finish off.
- Repeat Step 4 on other shoulder seam.
Make More Free Crochet Top Patterns!
Click the photos below to be taken directly to these other Amazing Free Crochet Pattern!