How to Crochet a Dishcloth?
If you have ever wondered how to crochet the star stitch then this free easy crochet dishcloth pattern is for you! I am always on the lookout for new crochet stitches but I don’t always like to try them on big projects. That’s why this free quick crochet washcloth pattern is perfect for learning to crochet the star stitch! I made this free crochet dishcloth pattern for beginners to try out a yarn from Lion Brand called Re-Up and it came out beautifully, don’t you think?
Design Story and Inspiration
As I said before, I love learning new crochet stitches! One stitch that I have loved for a long time is the star stitch. Now, I have seen this stitch used a few times and I have always been confused by how to crochet the star stitch. It really isn’t as hard as I thought and I think I had just found poor instructions! After some trial and error I finally got it figured out and was able to write my own simple instructions for the crochet star stitch! Don’t worry, I snapped a few photos for more visual learners!
About the Yarn!
Ok, ok, ok!!! I love cottons, but sometimes kitchen type cottons can be a bit rough…but Lion Brand’s Re-Up is AMAZING! “Re-Up is eco-friendly! It takes, on average, 20,000 liters of water to make 1 kilogram of cotton. By using one 70 gram ball of Re-Up you are saving 1,400 liters of water. So try Re-Up for your next cotton project: you’re going to love how it feels to work with and how it feels to help save the planet while doing the craft you love.” From the Lion Brand website.
Re-Up comes in a ton of colors, it‘s a category 4 weight with 117/103 yards per skein depending on if you choose a solid or a print! Made from 100% recycled cotton and great for a budget this yarn makes this easy crochet washcloth pattern a no brainer! So grab some Re-Up today to make this free crochet dishcloth pattern for beginners! Bonus, one skein lets you crochet TWO star stitch washcloths!
Before we begin…let’s Get Social!
I would love for you to come follow me on Instagram, Like my Facebook Page and Join my Facebook group! As Always you can grab a Printable PDF for just $3.50 on Etsy! Please make sure to head over to Ravelry and add this pattern to your favorites and make a project! That really helps to get my patterns in front of other makers like you! While you are there maybe favorite some of my other beginner crochet projects!
Remember, all likes, shares, follows and purchases are greatly appreciated by this Maker Mama and really do help to grow my craft business! So, if you are looking for more Free Crochet Patterns that are great beginner crochet projects then be sure to check out my Free Patterns Section!
1 skein LB Re-Up (Sample shown in Ash)
#4 Worsted Weight Cotton Yarn, 50 yards per washcloth
5.50 mm crochet hook
Gauge for this project is kind of important if you want to crochet two star stitch washcloths from this exact yarn. For this free crochet washcloth pattern you need a gauge of 14 sts x 14 rows with a 5.50 mm crochet hook.
Stitch Descriptions and Abbreviations
- Chain Stitch – CH – yarn over, pull yarn through stitch on hook.
- Slip Stitch – Sl St – Insert hook into stitch or space, yarn over, pull yarn through both loops on hook.
- Single Crochet – SC – Insert hook into stitch or space, yarn over, pull up a loop, (2 loops on hook), yarn over, pull through 2 loops on hook.
- Half Double Crochet – HDC – Yarn over, insert hook into stitch or space, yarn over, pull up a loop, (3 loops on hook), yarn over, pull through 3 loops on hook.
- Foundation Single Crochet – Fsc – Chain 2, insert hook into 2nd chain from hook, yarn over and pull up a loop (2 loops on hook) yarn over, draw through 1 loop, (2 loops on hook with 1 ch created), yarn over, draw through all loops (1 loop on hook, 1 foundation single crochet with chain at the bottom) *Insert hook to the bottom of the stitch you just made, it will look like the top or “V” of a stitch, yarn over, pull up 1 loop (2 loops on hook), yarn over, draw through 1 loop (2 loops on hook with 1 ch created), yarn over, draw through all loops;* repeat from * to * for desired amount of stitches.
- One Size – 6-1/2″ x 6-1/2″
- * Designates a repeat.
- Ch 1 And Ch 2 does not count as stitch.
- Skill Level: Easy
Fsc 27, ch 2, turn.
Ch 2, turn, pick up 2 loops in the 2nd chain from the hook using the front and back of the chain, pick up a loop in the 1st sc, pick up a loop in the next 2-sc, (6 loops on hook) yarn over, pull through all loops, yarn over pull through one loop (eye of star created) *pick up a loop in the eye, pick up a loop in the last loop of the star, pick up a loop in the same stitch as the last loop of the previous star, pick up a loop in the next 2-sc, (6 loops on hook) yarn over, pull through all loops, yarn over, pull through one loop. Repeat from * to end, hdc in the same stitch as the last star. (13 star sts created)
[See the photos below for clarification.]
Ch 1, turn, sc in hdc, sc in next eye, *2 sc in each next eye. Repeat from * to end, 1 sc in hdc. (27 sts)
Rows 4 – 17
Repeat Rows 2 & 3.
I hope you loved learning how to crochet a washcloth using the star stitch! If you are looking for other crochet washcloth patterns for beginners you should check out these other great free patterns I have on my blog! If you’re looking for more crochet projects, check out my entire Free Patterns Sectionand find something to make today! Make sure to sign up for the Life ands Yarn Newsletter so you never miss a new great crochet pattern!
But WAIT, check these out!
Make this easy single crochet dishcloth pattern for beginners using this free pattern!
Or this simple crochet washcloth pattern that will also teach you how ro make the moss stitch!